Thursday, January 23, 2014

Nde rasore hakueterei!


In case you were wondering, it’s still blazing hot here. I envy those in America who got to experience the record breaking cold a few weeks ago. Here is a list of things I’ve done in Paraguay and literally broken a sweat doing. Anything that requires physical exertion above this level guarantees a sweat.

-Typing this blog post
-Sleeping
-Playing candy crush saga
-Eating hot soup for lunch (happens on a regular basis)
-Shelling peanuts
-Sitting under a shade tree thinking about snow

Okay, gotta quit talking about the heat. Resort to part two to learn a great way to beat the heat: drinking terere!

My first whole month as a volunteer at site has been… weird, to say the least. I was having some major struggles trying to introduce myself and meet different people in community because of some prior happenings that I don’t really want to discuss in detail. However, I received some help from Peace Corps staff and members from another community to make the transition easier with the members of Capitán Leguizamón. Next week my community is organizing a meeting to formally introduce me so that everyone knows about my work and what the heck I’m doing here. Previously, much of the community had no idea I was here, nor did they understand exactly what Peace Corps volunteers do for their service. Hence, it was particularly tricky for me to introduce myself to community members by walking up to their house and trying to explain to them that, no, I’m not an Argentinian, nor am I a Cuban, nor a German, nor a spy. And yes, I have had all those questions asked about me.

One thing that has been a major help to my community integration is Paraguayan curiosity. They ask me anything, and everything. They are so interested to know what it’s like to live in America. The foods we eat, the work we do, how cold it is, who is your girlfriend, do they eat mandioca there, do you have terere there, etc. etc. That is one of the great things I like about Peace Corps. We are a culture-sharing machine. Clearly there are things I do that Paraguayans think I’m crazy and gawk at me. However, these are the little things that keep me sane and realize I’m making a tiny bit of impact so little time into my service.

I don’t really have too much exciting stuff to share so far, so I’ll leave you with some photos.

My host cousin Alexi and I enjoying some funny moments on my laptop

Isn't this just about the ugliest chicken you've ever seen?

One of the many impassable sand pits in my community

It's gonna rain! Haha just kidding!

Okay, I finally have the low-down on my mailing address. If you send me something, please please please make sure it is written exactly as I have put down.

Letters/cards/envelope items:

Orry Pratt
Correo Paraguayo No. 6700
San Pedro del Parana
Calle Parana y Capitan Niconor
Capitan Leguizamon
0984656118
Itapua, Paraguay, South America

Packages:

Orry Pratt
Correo Central Encarnacion 6000
Tel: 0984656118
Paraguay
South America

1 comment:

  1. Hello from Melinda and Ernst!!! Just read a couple of your more recent post and it reminds me of my 7wks with the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. It sounds lie things are progressing slowly but that is the way it goes when you are the new person. I was able to connect with the agricultural leader of the village and he was a tremendous help to me. Even though I did not speak their language we managed to communicate through sign language (hand motions) and drawings. Honestly I did what he told me for the first part of my stay( until the relationship was built) and much later offered my ideas.
    I know you will make a difference there... keep up the good work!

    Ps. Ernst should of taught you patience AND PERSERVERANCE! :)

    ReplyDelete